Monday 4 August 2008

More about me.

Okay, I love movies (but so does everyone) I love action and combat (but so do most guys) but here is some of the stuff you don't know :)

During a combat scene in which the hero is kicking ass, I will be paying close attention to the background action. I find watching un-choreographed background fighting highly amusing and is generally better than watching the hero slaughter thousands of supposedly competent enemies (this is almost unbearable if the hero happens to be Orlando Bloom)

Reference: check LoTR-TTT, during the battle of helms deep you will see men and Uric hai casually strolling side by side when they are retreating to the Hornberg. In LoTR-TFoTR, At the battle of Amon Hen. My personal favourite moment is when the battle bread Uric Hai with no fear cautiously walk down the steps to chase after Merry and Pip, it's completely out of character and that's what I crave.

The movie 300 - A lot of people like this movie and a lot of people do not. I personally think the slow motion fight scenes are incredible. It is the only way to capture the speed and essence of combat. Last time i watched it though i couldn't help noticing the tiny details.

Leonidas's 300 Spartan warriors are the elite, they are professional warriors! 'Hahh Rooo!' they would probably answer that statement. Yet i couldn't help noticing the way they held their spears.



The picture above is the Spartan spear wall. Leonidas is two along from the right, remember he is the creme de la creme (excuse my french) of the warriors, the best fighter and all the jazz. But notice the spear is the the vertical position? Take a look... it is isn't it? Just like the rest of them. If you combine this with some basic understanding of the human anatomy, most notably 'The Ribs' you may see the error of their way. Human ribs are horizontal:



Now, there is a high chance that holding the spear so the blade is horizontal will prevent a thrust from penetrating vital organs through the ribs (Heart & lungs) The Blade will get jammed in between. If you add on top light body armour of the time, the Spartans are inefficient in their fighting style and considering the spear was the most used weapon of the period, this is a drastic error on their part.

A horizontal blade can slide in between the ribs and puncture more easily and effectively - this is what the Elite Spartan warriors should be doing.

Alas, maybe I expect too much from movies, maybe I look at the irrelevant details too much. I spend too much time looking for error than admiring what's given. That's who I am, I like to try and observe where Directors and Producers cut corners and i feel like I win when I notice some petty annoyance or niggling complaint.

That's a little more about me, I figured if you're going to be here you may as well know a little bit about me.

(oh and by the way, my next post will be about knife crime in Scotland)

1 comment:

immy said...

I have to disagree with you about Orlando Bloom, he is, after all illegally gorgeous, and as I female I feel I must accept this fact or be shunned by my own gender.

However I have great fun spotting movie mistakes and I don't care who knows! xD